Known Bugs in Version 2.1
- When running under Microsoft Windows, system resources are not released
properly when a window is closed. We believe this may be a problem in thrid
party software that we are using. We're looking into it. To avoid the problem,
monitor resource usage (using the Resource Meter available for windows), and
exit/restart COGENT if resources fall to below 25%.
- Occasionally OOS (the execution engine) exits with an error code 1. We're
looking into this. To fix the problem, choose *Restart* from the *Run* menu.
This should start a new OOS session.
- Occasionally the OOS trace may be over-written (e.g., after a division by
zero error) Hopefully this is a minor problem. We are having problems with the
OOS trace window. Please bear with us.
- COGENT may crash when running a model if the model generates large current
state files. This bug is very rare, and we had thought it was fixed ... back
to the drawing board!
- Restarting OOS can mess up the OOS trace window. We're looking into this.
There is no simple fix, but the information in that window isn't too
important. If you really need to see it close and reopen the model.
- Copying/renaming a project generally results in a corrupt history display.
It safest to avoid using the copy/rename facilities for the time being.
Instead, use the windows explorer or plain file management routines to copy
and rename projects from within your research programme/project folder.
Corrupt histories can be fixed, by using a plain text editor to remove
duplicate lines in the project's "history" file. Don't do this unless you know
what you are doing. This bug is fixed in Version 2.2.
- COGENT will crash if the user selects a font (in the preferences panel)
that is not available.
- Printing of the project history window doesn't work as intended --
the scaling is wrong.
- There are numerous small formatting bugs in various print routines (mostly
relating to printing under Windows).
- There's a problem in printing a box by right-clicking on the box and
selecting the "Print" option. Nothing happens!
- There's a problem in responding to double clicks on some regions of
diagram canvases (specifically on some external objects within compound
- Archive browser interaction between setting of project directory and
archive extraction is broken -- COGENT fails to set the project directory at
the right time.
- Scrolling of the OOS output window is not possible, when it should be!
- Copying a box is not copying the box's display rules.
- There's a problem in re-instanting arrows to/from boxes following cutting
to and pasting from the clipboard.
- Irrelevant GTK+ warnings occur when recovering edits of object names.
- There's an error in help documentation concerning making graphs with
- Many help files are out of date. Some date back to version 1.09!
Many of the above bugs are addressed in COGENT Version 2.2
Bugs in Version 2.1 b4 fixed in Version 2.1
- Fix to display of floating point numbers in current state windows:
Internal float_ext/3 constructions are now converted to a standard floating
point representation for output.
- Fix to research programme renaming: The ":" character is now prohibited
from appearing in research programme names. UNIX doesn't mind the ":", but
Windows does. For compatibility it is now banned in both! (Existing research
programme names will not be affected.)
- Fix to research programme renaming from the archive browser: Previously
COGENT could crash if the archive browser was used to rename a research
programme when no research programme was open in the main COGENT window.
Bugs in Version 2.1 b3 fixed in Version 2.1 b4
- Fix to bug in project renaming/copying, whereby the contents of the
history window could be corrupted.
- Fix to location reported by syntax error routines used when importing
rules etc. to a canvas. (Reported by RC on Jan 24, 1999.) Previously the
location reported (line count and character count) were incorrect. (The import
function is only available to registered users.)
- Fix to bug in setting the position of the first node in a research
programme (in the professional edition only), whereby such nodes could be
drawn on the history canvas but not accessed by mouse clicks.
- Fix to bug with very old-style data sinks: the auto-update code has been
fixed to ensure that data sinks created with version 1 function sensibly.
Bugs in Version 2.1 b2 fixed in Version 2.1 b3
- Fix to two potentially serious bugs (introduced in V2.1 b0) in the function for setting the project
folder/directory. Most seriously, setting the project directory would
correctly display the research programmes in the selected folder, but those
research programmes could not be opened. Furthermore, if a research programme
was open when the folder was set, COGENT would crash.
Bugs in Version 2.1 b1 fixed in Version 2.1 b2
- Fix to minor bug in font selection. Previously, if the user began to
select a font, then pressed the "Set" button on the font selector without
actually selecting a font, COGENT would issue a GTK warning. This no longer
happens. Instead COGENT reverts to the previous font.
- Fix to potentially serious bug in arithmetic "power" function (in which
arguments were incorrectly ordered).
- Fix to bug in use of display rules (attached to buffer). Rules were being
created as normal process rules (instead of display rules).
- The OOS error reporting facility only reports the first line of an error
in the popup warning window, while the full error message is available in the
Run/Script subwindow. Version 2.1b2 and later report
OOS errors more fully in popup warning windows.
© The COGENT Group (2002)